Monday, April 17, 2017

Low power mode

It Starts Going Down Hill
Starting from chapter 57.2% of the novel called Feed by M.T. Anderson, Titus starts to ignore Violet. Violet is in the hospital telling Titus about the story of how she lost the feeling in her leg, but Titus only reads some of it. In chapter 82.4% Titus states, “I didn’t listen to all of it immediately.  I was lying there in bed. I saw that it was going to be long, and I stopped after and few sentences. There was a smell like the hospital. It was like sickness … I listened to the rest while the upcar drove me… I could still smell the hospital in my nose. It wasn’t anything around me. It was her” (Feed, 181).

·        In my opinion, Titus judgement about him and Violet is partially clouded because of his emotions. Titus knows that Violet is dying and he doesn’t want to deal with it. He feels as though ignoring her or reading her messages on his time will compensate addressing the situation. Titus is also irritated by the smell of the Violet being in the hospital. He does not like that smell around him. In reality, Titus should not act that way towards Violet. She did not ask to be in the situation that she is in and Titus should understand that.

In chapter 80.9%, Violet sends Titus a message with all of the things that she wants to do before she dies. He doesn’t read the message right away. He looks at it once again and only reads some of it. In chapter 78.6 %, Titus says, “I didn’t send a message back to Violet. I didn’t even listen to her list all the way through the first time.”In chapter 59.3%, Violet says “Titus, I’m afraid of silence. I’m afraid my memory will go soon. When I try to think about that year that disappeared from six to seven, it’s nothing. I mean I can’t remember anything” (Feed, 199).

·        This part was interesting to me because Violet is afraid her memory will be lost. If she did not have the feed, she would not have to worry about losing her memory. Everyone wants to live and function like a computer because “it’s cool”, and not taking into consideration on the negative effects of having the feed.
In chapter 4.6%, Titus is laying next to Violet on the hospital bed. He states, “I sat in her room, by her side, and she stared a the ceiling. I held her hand. On a screen, her heart was barely beating. I could see my face, crying, in her blank eye.”(Feed. 234) Then the feed starts again. “Feeling blue? Then dress blue...Everything must go! Everything must go! (Feed, 235).

·        Titus finally realizes that Violet is a great person while on she is on her death bed. While she was sick, Titus broke up with her and started dating Quendy. In reality, sometimes dating someone that is just like you, is not always best. You have to take risks and get out of your comfort zone. Titus didn’t want to do that until Violet started to get sick. As Violet started to die, her Feed started to fade as well. While Titus was feeling sad, his feed started up again. It knew that he was down and started to advertise different ways to cheer him up. Then it said “everything must go” which then started to fade as well.

Now Do You Really Want the Feed?
·        Yeah having a chip in your brain that gives you instant access to the internet is mind blowing, but it is not worth it! Do you really think you can live in a world like that? Probably not! Once someone is able to hack your brain and spread a virus like they did with Violet that’s it! Now just imagine what happened to Violet, happened to the whole entire world? The world would crumble.


·      
             The book ended on “everything must go” which is correct. Computers are upgraded every year and so is the advancing of technology. Once that chip grows old, it is time for a new one or your brain will not operate the same.

·        Personally, I would want the feed for a couple of months. After four months, they can remove it from my brain. I like watching sports and staying up to date on game stats. I am a huge Ravens fan, so having instant access to stats during a game would come in clutch! I would only use the feed for GPS or stats purposes but not for my academics. I applaud Violet for being the only one who read books and tried to learn on her own instead of using the feed all of the time.




Our world will eventually fall to into pieces if we functioned on the feed. 

-Steven Edmond 

No comments:

Post a Comment